1) It's pronounced mer-day-kar-ya. Not Merdeka Ria. Or Merdeka
Raya. Because that just makes no sense.
2) Yes, we're aware that merde is French for shit, so technically our name means shit art. We can live with that.
3) We sell independent Malaysian books, music and other random cool things. We're also a live music and event venue. Someday we'll think of a funny way to end this sentence.
3b) We were told we have very bad feng-shui because of a nangka tree. We don't know why the bastard tree is doing this to us but since we have bad feng-shui, we're eliminating the number f-o-u-r from this list. You do what you can.
5) Telekom Malaysia informs us that, according to their computers, our address doesn't even exist. How's that for indie-cred?
6) Our entrance is via the back alley (you may insert your homosexual joke here, but what are you, ten?).
7) We didn't have to pay an interior designer to help us look "cheap and grungy". We did it by picking up cheap and grungy things off the side of the road.
8) All the cool stuff (like the stage, lights, bookshelves etc) we built ourselves using discarded wooden pallets and spindles. All the boring stuff is from Ikea.
9) We did this because we're musicians/writers ourselves and therefore can't afford expensive furniture, but we're telling people it's "for the environment" even though the bloody environment put a nangka tree in front of our shop that's buggering up our feng-shui for no good reason.